University history

On February, 28 1933 the Siberian Astronomy And Geodesy Institute was founded in Omsk by the decision of the government. This date is considered to be the official birth of the higher educational institution. The first specialties of future graduates were "Astronomic geodesy" and "Map production" and the first enrolment to the institute was 75 students.

In 1934 the Siberian Astronomy and Geodesy Institute moved to Novosibirsk on the rights of Geodesy Department of the Novosibirsk Institute of Civil Engineering.

In autumn of 1936 the Novosibirsk Institute of Geodesy and Cartography (NIIGAiK) was developed from the Geodesy Department. In 1940 there were three NIIGAiK faculitics (Geodetic, Cartographic and Aerial- Phototopographical), the enrolment was 150 students. The Institute began its dynamic growth.

In the 1950-s the new specialty "Applied Geodesy" was added to the high school. From 1945 to 1960 the institute formed training system of basic geodesy specialties, developed methodical basis and formed a team of highly qualified teachers and staff.

During the period from 1960 to 1970 it was laid the foundation of computer technology introduction to the educational process and scientific research; the students began studying programming and the first vacuum tube computers appeared.

Since 1964 the training of optical profile engineers has been tailored into two specialties.

In the 1970-s there were formed several research areas related to automation, simulation of practical and theoretical work in the field of geodesy. It is the beginning of a considerable increase in Applied Geodesy training (student enrolment of 250-300).

In the 1980-s computer-aided design (CAD) systems were applied. These years the study of the deformation at the largest economic assets (hydro and nuclear power stations) started, NIIGAiK developed the cooperation with research agencies of the Siberian Branch of the Academy of Sciences and different organizations of the geodesic profile. The laboratories of NIIGAiK were completed with optical theodolites, first personal computers and other technical equipment.

In 1977 foreign students from Germany, Hungary, Cuba, Mongolia and Vietnam started their training in the Institute. During these years the 23 representatives from Germany, Mongolia and Vietnam graduated from post-graduate and doctoral courses.

In 1979 Council for Theses Defense was opened at NIIGAiK. In 1987 the Institute established specialized faculty "Microprocessor Technology", and in 1988-1990 - two new specialties "Study of Natural Resources" and "Space Geodesy."

The Institute started to develop cooperation with the production and implementation of innovative and contract work in the enterprises of not only geodesic profile but also in other sectors of the industry. The most important projects are Leningrad and Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station, Volgodonsk Nuclear Engineering Plant, Pavlodar Petrochemical Plant, Machinery Factories in Novosibirsk, Omsk, Barnaul etc.

For outstanding service in the field of specialists’ training and the development of research work NIIGAiK was awarded the order of "Badge of Honor by the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet on April 5, 1983."

In the 1990-s despite the global changes in the state politics and economy, the Institute continued opening new specialties: "Urban and Land Cadaster", "Information Systems", "Metrology", "Geo-ecology", "Economics and Business Management " and increases contacts with the leading enterprises of Russia, without losing the pace and scope of research and contractual work. The institute changed its status and became known as the Siberian State Academy of Geodesy (SSGA).

2010 – Novosibirsk Technical School of Geodesy and Cartography joined the Academy as its structural division.

2010 – the Academy started a BS training program in “Innovatics”.

2011 – the range of SSGA’s specialties was enlarged with a new one – “Mining”.

2013 – the Academy celebrated its 80-th anniversary.

2014 – the SSGA held the X-th International Forum "Interexpo GEO-Siberia". The Exhibition and Scientific Congress demonstrated that the Academy has high prospects in implementation of its projects all over the world.

For a long time the SSGA showed high dynamics of both internal and external development, meeting the requirements imposed to universities.

August, 2014 – the Academy changed its status and was renamed into the Siberian State University of Geosystems and Technologies.